Safety, Agriculture, Villages & Environment
Watching out for our community
S.A.V.E.'s mission is to preserve the quality of life and community character of southern Chester County, Pennsylvania, through Smart Growth principles that support safe transportation, agriculture, villages & the environment.
Our vision is for southern Chester County to be an inclusive and sustainable community, characterized by protected rural countryside with growing vibrant urban centers that are connected by uncongested scenic roads and supported by efficient and effective infrastructure.
A proposal in 1997 to expand PA Route 41 by constructing bypasses, additional lanes, and grade-separated intersections led to concerns about the direct and indirect impacts of such a project. Community members were alarmed that potential consequences such as sprawling development, loss of open space and farmland, and degradation to the environment were not being properly addressed. S.A.V.E. was founded the same year to develop and promote an alternative to this conventional approach to highway improvements.
Board of Directors
- Daniel M. Linderman, Chair - New Garden Township
- Grant DeCosta, Vice Chair - West Fallowfield Township
- J. Denis Newbold, Treasurer - Penn Township
- Louis A. Kaplan, Secretary - London Grove Township
- W. Boulton Alexander - Highland Township
- Veronica Protesto - East Marlborough Township
- Koren Weer - Kennett Square Borough
- Blair Fleischmann, Executive Director - Upper Oxford Township
- Julia Gardner, Former Executive Director - London Grove Twp
- Rikki M. Saunders, Founder - Londonderry Township
What We Do
S.A.V.E. advocates for sustainable land use and infrastructure policies and practices that preserve the quality of life throughout southern Chester County.
We strive to be a consistent voice for sustainable land use decisions and continue to offer an annual event featuring provocative, stimulating, and informative speakers. The 2018 speaker was Chuck Marohn of Strong Towns.